“A person (sometimes a state official) who advocates on behalf of residents in an assisted living facility or health care institution. This person receives, investigates and resolves complaints against the residential facility or health care institution involving the safety, health, welfare and rights of the elderly residents and patients.”

Bookman, A., Harrington, M., Pass, L., & Reisner, E. (2007). Family caregiver handbook: Finding elder care resources in Massachusetts. Cambridge, MA: Massachusetts Institute of Technology.